Key fact

There are around 500 Looked After Children living in Stockport. Of these, 44% are Stockport children. The other 56% are placed in Stockport by other local authorities.  Stockport places around 80 children per year in other local authority areas.

Key information

  • Almost half of the Looked After Children (LAC) are placed in local authority foster care.
  • 8 out of 10 LAC have been in care less than 5 years.
  • Almost three quarters of LAC that Stockport is responsible for live in Stockport. Manchester and Tameside are the external local authorities that have the most LAC in Stockport.
  • Almost 60% have been identified as having a physical need and 36% with an emotional need (likely to be underestimate).
  • Around 50% of Out of Area children placed in Stockport leave the borough when they become Care Leavers.

Key issues for commissioners

  • Support and safeguard the most vulnerable children and young people and families, especially looked after children, so that they have the opportunity to thrive.
  • Promote the mental wellbeing of children and families, especially for older children and young adults amongst LAC.
  • Understand the needs of the LAC population and use JSNA intelligence to inform the appropriate levels of response.
  • Evidence that LAC have poorer health outcomes than their peers not in care.
  • Improve the quality of support provided to care leavers.